Medications may be commercially unavailable for a variety of reasons, the most common being:
- Back-ordered due to a manufacturing problem
- Discontinued due to decreased usage or declining manufacturer profits, which may be related to the introduction of a newer drug
Sometimes only certain doses and dosage forms of a particular drug, or specific combinations are discontinued. Our professional pharmacists can help by obtaining the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) and compounding the needed drug in the most appropriate dose, dosage form, and flavor for each patient. We can also compound medications that are free of problem-causing additives such as sugar, alcohol, preservatives, dyes, and gluten. Our compounding pharmacy utilizes the finest quality chemicals from FDA-inspected facilities. We follow current USP guidelines, and are licensed and regulated by our State Board of Pharmacy.
Note: Drugs are also withdrawn from the market due to health risks, and we do not compound medications that were discontinued due to safety concerns.
As of March 2015, the following medications are not commercially available.
- Acyclovir Suspension
- Buprenorphine Sublingual Tablets
- Calcium Citrate Oral Solution
- Cortisone capsules
- Dichloralphenazone/Isometheptene/Acetaminophen capsules
- Doxycycline Capsules and Tablets
- Memantine HCl 14 and 21 mg capsules
- Reserpine Tablets
- Nystatin 100,000 U Suppository
Please contact our compounding pharmacist if you need these or other medications that are not commercially available.